Marnie Banarni's blog

This blog is an assignment required for the Virtual Cultures subject (KCB201), at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. It regards personal thoughts and opinions of the subject content, as well as other information relevant to online communities and/or new media communications.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Square Eyes


Yesterday in the tutorial my group presented our online community, Fairfux to the class.

I would have posted this blog yesterday however our group had worked SO long and hard getting the presentation completed on time, that our priorities lay at the guild bar! Aaah, a beer was never so refreshing!

But to the point of this blog: the way that our presentation actually got completed was because of online chat. Ironic that it was for an subject about online communities. Arranging meetings at a time that 5 people can attend is terribly difficult, so therefore MSN Messenger became the tool for communication. I had never used it before to chat to 5 people at once about an assignment, but I definitely think I will do it again because it is easier than working around people's jobs, social life and university timetable.

I don't think its until you go to university (or even QUT) that you realise how much you rely on a computer! All week I've been glued to my computer screen writing assignments and chatting to friends. "We are moving toward a culture of simulation in which people are increasingly comfortable with substituting representations of reality for the real" (Flew, 2004, p.65) ... well I think nowadays its vital for me to substitute the real for the virtual if I hope to get through uni!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home